Covering the Brake is a Defensive Driving technique where the driver places their right foot over the brake pedal but not touching the pedal.
- Reduces speed by foot not being on the accelerator.
- Faster reaction time if braking is needed.
WHEN TO COVER THE BRAKE:
- When approaching a traffic light.
- While driving past cars parked on the side of the road.
- When approaching a school crosswalk, pedestrian crosswalk, or playground area.
- When approaching an intersection or traffic circle.
- When approaching an area where children, bicyclists or other pedestrians are on or near the road.
*Blog courtesy of National Waste and Recycling Association. For more information visit https://wasterecycling.org/